Storefront Awnings & Canopy Guide
When business owners try to think of ways to enhance their business, installing a storefront awning or canopy may not be the first idea that comes to mind. It may be easier to justify a higher marketing budget or a list of other things that include more action-oriented tasks. However, the powers of a custom-designed architectural awning should not be undermined.
Commercial storefront awnings have the unique ability to upgrade the entire exterior of a storefront. It draws the eye to the business’s exterior and makes a statement. It may seem difficult to understand the exact benefits that an awning can provide. This storefront awnings and canopy guide will explain the importance of canopies, as well as the types of canopies available to you.
The Importance Of Storefront Awnings
There exist a multitude of reasons as to why storefront awnings are so important. The first and most obvious benefit is the functionality they offer. A storefront awning essentially expands the space of the business. Instead of just being confined to the indoor space, you can utilize the outdoor space beneath the awning. If you’re a restaurant, restaurant awnings allow the space to be used for outdoor seating. If you are a retailer, retail store awnings allow the space to be used for a variety of outdoor displays that will lure potential customers inside.
It is best to envision an awning as an outreached arm that beckons patrons inside. From a marketing perspective, this is an enormous tool that can potentially outrank more traditional marketing methods. After all, as much as it has been stated, “Don’t judge a book by its cover”, first impressions do matter a lot. If you are a storefront business, that initial look that a passerby may give your business is crucial. Why not make a lasting impression?
Depending on the type of awning you choose, it can provide protection from the sun on extremely sunny days and protection from the rain during downpours. This protected area will encourage customers to gather and even socialize at your storefront. Perhaps a potential patron who would have never thought to visit your business suddenly finds themselves standing right outside the entrance. Once someone is already at the front door, they are much more likely to step inside.
Besides for functionality, a storefront awning can also help define your brand. Custom design the style of your awning to match your business. This will not only attract the customer’s eye, but will also serve to broadcast your brand.
Another important benefit of a storefront awning that may not seem as obvious is that it can serve to protect items inside the store from the damaging rays of the sun. This type of protection will depend on the type of material used for the awning. Certain woods and pieces of furniture can get discolored from prolonged sun exposure. A storefront awning can offer much needed sun protection as well as energy efficiency, by allowing you to reduce the amount of air conditioning necessary to cool the space.
Popular Storefront Awning Styles
There are many different styles of custom storefront awnings to choose from. While it may seem daunting to make a decision, there are key differences between the different designs that will help you figure out which one makes the most sense for your particular needs. There is no right or wrong or better or worse when it comes to the available options for your storefront awning designs. It simply comes down to your business and what you feel works best for your vision.
- Extruded Aluminum Canopies: An extremely versatile material, extruded aluminum canopies feature an all aluminum composition. Lightweight, yet highly durable, aluminum is naturally resistant to corrosion, allowing it to easily withstand the elements. It will provide both shade from the sun and protection from the rain.
- Glass Canopies: Glass is a sleek material that manages to be modern and timeless at the same time. Guaranteed to make a statement, this modern storefront awning will allow sun to pass through so that patrons can enjoy a sunny and well-lit space. On rainy days, the glass will provide ample protection from the rainfall.
- Louvered Canopies: A louvered canopy is unique in its design of angled slats that are positioned to provide optimal shade from the sun while still allowing natural sunlight to filter through. Perhaps the best of both worlds in terms of sun protection, it provides shade and light simultaneously.
- Wood Canopies: For a more mid-century modern design, wooden inserts on an aluminum frame create a truly unique storefront canopy that is sure to create architectural interest. This luxurious design also offers protection from the elements, including sun and rain.
- Fabric Awnings: A highly customizable option that may also be a more economical choice is a fabric awning. These will provide shade from the sun, protection from the rain, and can help maximize marketing efforts due to the endless customization options.
Aluminum Frame Storefront Canopies
Regardless of the type of awning that you choose, each storefront canopy system will be built with aluminum framing. Aluminum is a very versatile metal that has become popular in engineering and construction projects. As a metal, it is lightweight and pliable, but extremely strong at the same time, a vitally important combination when it comes to structural engineering.
Another key benefit of aluminum framing is that aluminum is naturally non-corrosive. Due to the nature and function of storefront canopies, they are constantly exposed to the elements, be it rain, sun, wind, or snow. Aluminum has the unique ability to withstand these elements and remain durable.
Duralux Architectural Awnings For Storefronts
As previously stated, you can’t go wrong with any of the popular styles that exist in the available options of awnings for storefronts. However, even when understanding the key benefits of each, it can sometimes still be difficult to make the final decision on what works best for your particular business. This is where our team of professionally trained designers and engineers will work together with you to create a custom design that speaks to your business, to your brand, and to how you want to present yourself.
At Duralux Architectural Canopies, we offer over ten years of experience in the industry. Through the entire process, from the design to the engineering, to the fabrication, to the installation, we work closely with each client to ensure optimal satisfaction. Allow us to transform your storefront space, to elevate your marketing, and to bring your business to the next level with an architectural awning or canopy.